Friday, January 25, 2008

Can't You Just Feel the Excitement?

The Curmudgeon had the “pleasure” of spending a few days this week in the lovely cities of Sugar Land and Beaumont. Bet you’re jealous.

There is no good way to travel from Austin to those exotic locales except to just hitch up the team and head out over land. That resulted in just over a 500 mile round trip. Luckily for you readers I was able to spend some quality time thinking deep thoughts. I’ll begin sharing some of them with you.

Realizing it was going to take quite some time for the Conestoga wagon to cover that distance it became apparent that there needed to be something to do to provide a distraction. I wanted to measure the excitement in the hinterlands about the upcoming Presidential race and then I remembered something that Lyndon Johnson once said.

President Johnson said that if you wanted to measure the commitment that a candidate for office had you needed to look at the bumper stickers on the cars passing by, because in Texas a person who will put your bumper sticker on their car is certainly going to vote for you. So I set out to keep a record of the bumper stickers I saw once I left Travis County.

Results: Zip, Zero, Nada

Maybe one or two slipped by me, but I kept my eyes out and the only presidential bumper sticker I saw was on a old beat up pickup with a gun rack. It said Bush/Cheney. I’m pretty sure it was from 2000.

Additionally not a single person I talked to mentioned the race without prompting. They were fairly evenly split between Hillary, Obama & McCain when I pushed them, but virtually all would have been willing to vote None of the Above.

Can’t wait until our turn to vote.

No comments: